Home

Historical Profile

LOYOLA SCHOOL OF ADULT AND CONTINUING EDUCATION

Loyola logo



Loyola School of Adult
and Continuing
Education


1440 Princess Street
Kingston, Ontario
K7M 3E5

613-544-3361
flhphlclc@alcdsb.on.ca


:



Loyola image
Loyola, School of Adult and Continuing Education began as Loyola Community Learning Centre in February 1978, as a program of Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School, and continued as such for the next two and a half years. Loyola officially opened its own Kingston facility in September 1990, at 7A Clarence Street. At this time it became a program of Regiopolis-Notre Dame Catholic High School.

In 1991, the Open Book literacy project, which focused on Adult and Family Literacy, became affiliated with Loyola. It was housed in St. Patrick’s elementary school in Kingston. It began expanding into the Kingston community. In February 1993, Open Book partnered with the government sponsored initiative, Better Beginnings and Better Futures. Today Open Book has expanded its programming to include ESL classes, as well as specialized programs designed for adults who wish to gain the essential skills needed for enhanced opportunities for employment or for upgrading for continued education.

In September 1992, Loyola moved to 1440 Princess Street to accommodate an increase in student enrolment. At this time, Loyola became the School of Extended Education and a fully accredited secondary school. It opened an annex in January 1993, at St. Linus Catholic School in Bath and a second annex in June 1994, at Sacred Heart Catholic School on Wolfe Island; both annexes have since closed.

With Provincially mandated amalgamation of school boards in 1998, the Loyola Community Learning Centre of the Frontenac-Lennox and Addington County Roman Catholic Separate School Board joined with the Continuing Education Department of the Hastings-Prince Edward County Roman Catholic Separate School Board to provide day school programs in Belleville, Trenton and Picton.

Loyola is a combination of Adult Day school and a School of Continuing Education and offers a variety of programs. These are directed towards the adult student, defined as over 18 years of age, or the student seeking an alternate educational experience. It welcomes the return of former students to the education system. At Loyola adult learners are able return to school to achieve their high school diploma and/or to upgrade dated work skills in preparation for re-entry to the work force. It provides full time day programs for adults, on-line courses, correspondence courses, summer school programs, co-operative education, various workplace certifications, Personal Support Worker Program, and other community programs.

Working from five distinct sites across 16,000 square kilometers, Loyola has established itself as the number one destination for those who seek completion of a secondary school diploma and serves as the key administrative guide for all Correctional Services of Canada Prisons in Ontario.

Loyola was named in honour of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the Founder of the Jesuit Order. Within the Jesuit tradition is the call for hospitality and generosity towards those in need, and it is within this context of service to others that each Loyola campus strives to promote the philosophy of St. Ignatius Loyola. He undertook works of charity such as teaching the young and uneducated, as well as various missionary enterprises. Ignatius was a pioneer in the field of Adult Education. He was declared the patron of Spiritual Exercises and Retreats by Pius XI and is now the patron of many schools, churches and colleges.

The Loyola school community provides an educational team of Christian professionals who believe in the dignity, freedom, and individual worth of their students; who support the Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board’s mission of extending hospitality, educational opportunity, and generosity toward anyone in need; and, who strive to be responsive to students’ needs by aiming for excellence and innovation in the delivery of services to the community.